Resources for Trustees
The GPLS 2016 Trustee Handbook is an overview of the basic information needed by library trustees to be effective board members and library advocates. The library trustee is a part of the decision-making team that oversees the public library, one of the fundamental institutions of our democracy. Thank you for your enthusiasm, preparation and dedication to your community. Printed copies will be distributed later in the year.
The Appendix of the Trustee Handbook is available online and includes a variety of resources. You'll find more information on the working of GPLS, background information on library laws and policies, and tools to further your knowledge.
- ALA National Library Legislative Day
- Friends of Georgia Libraries (FOGL)
- United for Libraries Resources (ALA)
- 2015 Advocacy Training handouts
- Public Library Association (PLA) Advocacy Resources
- ALA Power Guide for Successful Advocacy
- Current Look at Georgia's Public Libraries and GPLS
- Did you know? Facts about Georgia Public Libraries
- Georgia Center for Nonprofits
- Georgia Library Association (GLA)
- Trustees Bibliography (materials available for loan from GPLS)
- The Trustee Toolkit: Hiring a Library Director
- United for Libraries Resources for Trustees