The Georgia State Board for the Certification of Librarians was created by legislation enacted in 1937 for the purpose of ensuring that librarians who work for any public library serving a population of 5,000 or more and every library operated by the state or its authority shall have certain minimum education qualifications. In order to carry out this charge, the Board has the authority to adopt rules which establish standards for licensure. The act also provides for public funds to be withheld from any library which fails to comply with the registration requirements of this act. There are approximately 900 current licensees.
The Board is comprised of six members, five of whom are appointed by the Governor, and serve for terms of five years. Of the appointed members, three are certified librarians, one is a trustee of a public library, and one is a member from the public at large. The sixth member is the director of public library services of the Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia. The Board meets four times per year.
From the Archive
A document from January, 1986 issued by the State Board for the Certification of Librarians: