Guidelines for using Children's Services Listserv (CHLIB-l)
The CHLIB Listserv posts messages to and from people working in Georgia's public libraries with children, families, and teens. Please do not submit messages unless you are reasonably certain your message is of professional interest to Children’s and Teen Services staff.
Think before you post. Do you really want to say this to the entire CHLIB-listserv? Reread what you wrote. Did it really say what you intended it to? Once a message is sent, it can’t be retrieved.
Be careful when replying to the author of a list message. Always reply directly to the sender rather than the entire list (unless the whole listserv needs the information).
Include a descriptive subject line in each posting. Include your name, library system, and your email address (e-signature) at the end of your message.
If you find yourself repeatedly exchanging postings with an individual on the listserv, consider if the exchange would be best continued off the listserv (even if it is youth services related).
Please Refrain from Posting:
- Topics generally unrelated to the youth services or any personal communication between individuals.
- Messages of a strictly personal nature, like vacation photos, wedding video, snapshots of grandchildren, etc.
- Messages of non-substantive content, such as posting “I agree”, “yes!”, “Thanks”. Also, emails regarding attendance at meetings or training sessions should be sent directly to the appropriate person rather than the listserv.
- Messages of humor or light conversation that are unrelated to youth services.
- If someone posts a comment or question that is off topic, do not reply to the list and keep the off topic discussion going. If you want to reply, please do so off list.
- Messages posted to the listserv should be civil and professional in tone and conform to professional standards and ethics.
- ‘Flaming’ is the use of emotionally charged posting, typically directed at someone. Don’t turn the discussion into a heated, personal attack.
- Replies to requests for information should be sent directly to the person requesting the information. When appropriate, this information can later be posted as a single summary of multiple responses to the listserv.
- Delete all unneeded text from previous replies rather than continuing to forward entire chain of messages. Save bandwidth!
Participation is strongly encouraged! Your ideas are important. Georgia has a great reputation for providing excellent library service. Everyone should feel comfortable using the listserv in an appropriate manner. Please do not hesitate to email or call the director of children’s services with any listserv questions, comments, or concerns: firstname.lastname@example.org or (404) 235-7127.