JOBS IN LIBRARIES
This is a list of job announcements for any type of library within Georgia and the Southeast.
Assistant Library Director - Youth ServicesPosted by: CCLS
Posted date: 2014-Jul-23
Location: CLAYTON COUNTY PUBLIC LIBRARY SYSTEM
NATURE OF WORK: This is a professional administrative level work involving planning, directing and coordinating youth services for the library system. Works in cooperation with other administrative staff. Administrative direction and performance evaluation are received from the Director of Library Services.
EXAMPLES OF WORK
Management of Youth Services:
- Provides leadership and supervisory guidance to HQ Youth Services Librarian and branch Youth Assistants.
- Provides direction for a full range of programs for ages infant to 17 years, including programs involving parents for the system.
- Manage collection selection, development and maintenance of all materials for children and young adults in the library system.
- Promotes use of juvenile and young adult collections through programming and outreach to schools, daycare centers, etc.
- Provides in-service training for library staff and workshops for Youth Assistants, teachers and childcare givers.
- Serves on committees in the community as a library representative and maintains good communications with area schools and daycare centers.
- Acts as a public speaker and library advocate to community and civic organizations regarding library services for young people.
- Plans and coordinates special events for the library system.
- Attends seminars and workshops to keep abreast of developments in youth Services and library management.
- Seeks to make possible expanded library services to young people through the means of grants and community donations.
- Plans for the development of youth services for the library system.
- Provides input to Headquarters youth Service Librarian and branch Youth Assistants.
- Coordinates, cooperates and collaborates with the Youth Services Librarian assigned to the Headquarters library.
Provides related work as required.
DESIRABLE KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
-Broad knowledge and appreciation of the purpose and function of the public library; ability to effectively communicate this to others.
-Excellent administrative and interpersonal skills to effectively develop, organize, coordinate, supervise and direct the work of subordinate employees.
-Considerable knowledge of youth materials, programming and services in relation to public libraries.
-Considerable ability to review a variety of library problems and recommend and administer appropriate solutions and procedures.
-Considerable ability to relate to may people on various levels and to communicate effectively.